Can meeting with a Psychologist help me?
I can help you in several different ways. First, I can help you clarify just what is going on in your life that is causing you concern or distress.
It is very important to clearly identify the specific issues which need to be addressed. Through our discussions, we can decide just what is "the problem": Is it in your relationship with someone? Is it a dysfunctional belief? Are you having trouble "getting past your past"? Are you re-enacting a traumatic experience? Is there a bio-chemical component which might be contributing?
Some of the benefits available from therapy include:
- Understand yourself, your goals and values
- Develop skills for improving your relationships
- Find resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to seek therapy
- Learn better ways to cope with stress and anxiety
- Manage anger, grief, depression, and other emotional pressures
- Improvie your communication and listening skills
- Change old behavior patterns and developing new ones
- Discovering new ways to solve problems in your family or marriage
- Improve your self-esteem and self-confidence
If you are experiencing prolonged anxiety, grief or if you are burdened by past trauma, you can benefit from EMDR treatment.
Can meeting with a Psychologist help my child?
If you are concerned about your child, I can help in several ways.
As a Psychologist, I am able to administer psychological tests of intelligence, academic skills, emotional adjustment and behavior. These assessments can be used to obtain resources or special services from the NYC Department of Education or disability benefits from Social Security and other agencies. Further, I am trained to diagnose mental disorders as needed for legal actions. I have worked extensively in the area of child custody determinations, with adopted children, and with parents concerned about ther infants and toddlers. Finally, parents want to understand and help their children and to be more effective advocates for them. Parents need support and also solid parenting information.